Wednesday, November 19, 2008

One Room to Another



Tonight is the Seattle launch party for the Almanac. I know it's unrealistic to ask all of you to come out here for it, but for those of you in the Northwest, here's the info:

FD Northwest Book Launch Thing

Redwood
514 East Howell Street
Capitol Hill

6-10PM


Early game is Rockets/Mavs, which should be okay, I guess. Second game is the far doper Blazers/Bulls. I'll have books for sale, our friends at Sports Northwest Magazine will be in the house, and there will hopefully be a lot of people drinking and talking ball.

Speaking of which, that was Greg Oden's coming-out party tonight. I can't stop making the Bill Russell comparison, which is obviously a style thing, not a prediction of 21,000 rings for Portland. Plus, only an idiot would not see the miles of implied qualifier in front of that. A few hours ago, I referred to him as "the richest man in the world's Tyson Chandler," which might be a little easier to stomach. Why am I flipping out? Because, at the risk of jinxing the PDX, the pop in his legs, in fact in his whole body, was astounding. I saw umpteen plays, some of them routine, that reminded me of a certain missed dunk. I don't want to say I suddenly find Dwight Howard less impressive, but he's definitely got to be redefined as a genre, not the only lineage going forward.

Also, these Warriors are simply ridiculous. Even weirder than I could've imagined. In retrospect, the 2006-07 team seems so. . . mainstream. Instead of churning out highlights, half of the playmaking or moves leave you totally confused, and the structural Nellie-logic is like a feral Moebius strip trying to chew off its own foot. Anthony Morrow only touches the ball with his fingertips. They are truly the Third World pirates of the NBA (that's not obvious, or racist, it's synchronicity).

UPDATE:

-My TSB two cents on Knicks/Celtics.

-Face revealed in a Seattle Weekly profile.

Oh, and also:



This should provide about 55 months of discussion right here. I, for one, was shocked to discover that swag could be swag, but also have negative characteristics. Yes, I am white and 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment